My (dream) Job

Saturday, August 24, 2013


I grew up as a "banyak mau" kiddo. There are so many things I wanted. When I was 7, Mom let me studied piano (I play classic for almost 13 years and still not that good). Too many tears every time I went to my teacher's place, but I was still doing it at all. At that time, I was thinking maybe I want to be a professional pianist.

Then, when I was 10, my Sunday School teacher asked me to join the dance team, I agreed. I even danced in elementary school and made several performances. I was thinking again maybe I want to be a dancer when I grow up.

Later, I was in primary then high school, I started to make sure what exactly I like, what I want. I like to write a diary since elementary. I also shared a diary with several friends to write together. I haven't realized yet that I love writing this thing until I was in the "20 best young writers" category in a writing competition held by YKAI and UNICEF. That time, I was only 14.

But, I was still trying to seek another thing to do. I learned Photoshop things and made a bunch of graphics. I decided to take design for college major but I realized something really serious.. I can't draw by my hand. Just because you are good in Photoshop or another computer design, you can't make sure being a designer is a job that you want to be. Okay, lesson learned.

My real-life story began when I went to college with the major I never wanted (or even think about it). I studied Chinese Literature and Education. At the end of the college story, I got my bachelor's degree in education. I must be proud because the only reason I studied this major was I got a full scholarship. My parents was so happy, I made them proud. I am happy. The first year in college was totally killing me. And after arriving in the scariest scary part in college was writing a thesis. I love writing, but not this one. Writing a thesis in Chinese is really terrifying. But you don't know the feeling after you finished it and your lecture said, "congratulation you're passed." Four years in college is all about God's grace. But, I kept asking myself, "is this really what I want?"

Because I know my heart kept telling me there are something missing. Something that makes me alive. 
Not alive like breathing, I mean.. alive

Then, after you graduated, the first task you have to be done is: find a job. According to my degree, the most possible job I can take is: teacher. But again my heart said no, maybe no teaching, I can do something else. I always want to work for magazine, since I love reading magazines, I can't lie to myself that I want a position in a magazine, something like: 

Editor: Reggievia Santoso
Feature Writer: Reggievia Santoso
Fashion Reporter: Reggievia Santoso 

or maybe..

Editor in Chief: Reggievia Santoso :P
But, my dream magazine company is in the capital city, I live in somewhere else right now, which means I have to give up for working in that company. I hate giving up for something I love, something I really passionate about. I sent my resumes to several companies. I don't know exactly why I sent to them, I just thinking about I should get a job, I should have my own allowance, I need experience. And I somehow believe that people said, "your first job is never your dream job." Haha. Tragic.

Thirty-one days have passed, none of the company reply to me (actually there's one, but no reply anymore). I told myself, "No, you don't need to work for a company. You can create your own job." My Mom happened to run a new business, so I decided to help her and we work together. If you ask me what am I doing right now, I proudly say I run a business with my family. This doesn't happen to be my dream job, but you know what, I can still do something I love to do. I still write and I take this blogging thing seriously. Every night I make blogging planning, I really think hard what to do for this blog. Blogging and writing is not an actual job for me, but they are something that has to be done. And I have a strong feeling with it, so.. it's my dream job.



A job is not always about working in a big company, wearing a suit every day, have a dragon-lady boss, etc. If you love doing painting in your room, you have a story to tell through it and the most likely part is someone pay your artworks; then, it's a job.

I talked much with my boyfriend about a dream job and he told me like, why you trying so hard to work in a company that you don't even know you will like it or not, why you don't just make your own dream job? So yeah people, this is the point why I am writing this long.

I don't know what will happen in the next year, two or five years. But I know I have to keep living in my dream job. A job that worth to do in my whole entire life. A job that makes me alive.



At the end, you are the one who can define your dream job. You are the one who exactly knows about what you really want to do in this life. Never stop to dream, dream bigger, it will help.

Good luck in seeking and living in your dream job. 


***
Now about you. What's your dream job? You can share with me here by drop a comment below or talk to me in Twitter: @Reggievia

5 comments:

  1. oh my, cc! this is what I'm facing right now! once, I wanted to work at sealife breeding, or being a forensic one, or a photographer, and now, I really wanna work at magazine. I take design major but yes, I CAN't DRAW by my hand nor have a really creative mind :(
    I'm so agree with you, there's something "alive" inside me, but I don't know. what if, I never find my passion ?? (Sorry for this comment ><)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there!

      The first thing you should know that passion lives in everyone's heart. So you don't have to worry you never find it, it's in your heart, try to seek it! And the next thing you have to do now just doing what you love, just like me. I love writing, so I keep doing it. Good luck, dear and semangat! (:

      Delete
  2. hey! :) yeah i'm here having similar story with you. i wanted to work in magazine however they say it's such a shame if i'm good at mathematics but taking journalism or some similar major in university. sadly in indonesia science/engineering major is still a priority. however i'd like to believe that we can do both (dream job and for-the-sake-of-money-and-living-job) so don't give up :D oh and another thing, i also want to take design related-major but i can't draw and i'm not a pro in photoshop. i suck so bad. at least you're really good in designing with photoshop :D i like ur blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! (:

      Wohoo I totally agree with you, so I decided to keep writing for them, mudah2an diterima, nggak diterima yah coba lagi :P
      Thanks! I like your Parisian pictures on your blog too, lovely!

      Delete
  3. First, congratulations with passing your
    college! Writing your thesis in Chinese must
    be HARD omg... I can't even imagine!
    And yeah, finding a job is a second stress
    obstacle.. but I think you should find
    something that you are passionate about c:
    Xx

    ReplyDelete